Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Gift of Giving

Yesterday a friend told me that I was such a creative "gift giver." I had to chuckle a bit to myself as my most "creative" gift ideas seem to come at the eleventh hour the night (or hour) before I have to give a present. I've been able to come up with several easy & very meaningful gift ideas that have proven to be real "winners." I thought I'd share a few...

-Give a "tree." Visit historictrees.org and click on the Nursery Store. Here you can purchase the offspring of trees connected to famous people, events, and places. From George Washington to Johnny Appleseed, Walt Disney to Mark Twain, these trees witnessed the birth of our nation-and all aspects of its history thus far. The trees are very reasonably priced and proceeds benefit American Forests, the nation's oldest nonprofit conservation group. For Christmas last year, we gave my brother-in-law and his wife a "Williamsburg Golden Raintree" as they met as students at William & Mary. I promise this gift is a sure winner and you'll feel good knowing you've done something positive for the environment.

- Making a donation in someone's honor can also be very special. I suggested to my friend, who was struggling as to what to get her mother for her 75th birthday, to donate a book in her mother's honor at the library of the college her mother attended. Since her mom is an accomplished artist, I suggested an art book. You can simply visit the website of a college and usually get the information you need on the development page or alumni site.

-For the last several years, we have made donations in honor of the kids' teachers either at the teacher's alma mater or to a cause that means a lot to them. For instance, one year we made a donation to the Thomas Jefferson Foundation as my son's teacher had a real fondness for Jefferson and Monticello. Another year, we contributed to the Smithsonian to celebrate a wonderful Social Studies teacher. With the internet, it is so easy to just visit the websites of these organizations and find the "donations page." Don't forget, those donations are also tax-deductible.

-We love to give magazine subscriptions, particularly when you can get them very easily and inexpensively on eBay. The kids often give these as birthday gifts think Sports Illustrated for Kids, American Girl, Nick Jr.. We simply buy the current issue of the magazine and include a cute poem letting them know they'll be getting a subscription. I give them as housewarming gifts think Veranda, Southern Accents, Architectural Digest. New parents think Cookie, Wonder Years, Parents.

Just a few ideas that are simple, meaningful and as easy as a mouse-click.

7 comments:

Kim said...

My grandma is 92 and came to American the last year that they processed people through Ellis Island in 1923. Since she has everything and is hard to buy for, I got her a copy of the ship's manifest (with her family's name listed, their ages, etc. all handwritten) and a picture of the ship she came on. You can search online and it's pretty fun. A lot of people from her town in Germany all live in the same town in Nebraska, and one guy always said he came on the boat with my grandma. When I looked it up, it said he came a month later. We figured out that he had come on the same boat, a month later, but my grandma's brother was sick so they kept them in quarantine for a month. It ended up that they didn't come to the US together, but traveled to Nebraska together. My grandma was only 8 years old and he was 18 at the time, so it was fun to figure out that little mystery.

And now I've written a book. But that's a fun gift for somebody who was an immigrant or had a parent who was.

Melly said...

That's a great idea! Thanks for sharing!!

The Mrs. said...

These are great ideas! That tree thing is so cool!

Tickled Pink And Green said...

You are the Martha Stewart of gift giving! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Great ideas!

I'm also a big fan of putting together craft kits for E's little friends on their birthdays.

Suzanne said...

Thank you for some great ideas!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Great ideas- thanks! And I do the same thing Impoverished Prep- craft kits for kids. They are always a huge hit!