Saturday, March 1, 2008

We Are Family...

You saved me once, and what is given is always returned.
We are in this world to help each other.
The Adventures of Pinocchio, C. Collodi, 1883

Almost four and half years ago I suffered from a serious bout of postpartum depression after Bonus Baby was born. My wonderful sister helped me navigate those treacherous waters with her care, nurturing and unending optimism and friendship. I am eternally grateful for her help during that dark time which is why I didn't even think twice when she really needed my support over the last week and a half as she faced some difficult times of her own. She's doing great now, and I am finally getting back to some of the stuff that I had put on the back burner - like my blog. I must admit my perspective on life has changed a bit over the past couple of weeks, and one thing I know for sure is that nothing is more important than family and the gift of unconditional love.

3 comments:

Suburban prep said...

It is always great when in times families can come together for the strength that is needed.
It seems that you and your sister have been there for each other.
When one of my sisters was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins the other sister (who is a nurse) quit her job at a hospital in the city(Chicago) and became the other sister's private duty oncology nurse. The nursing sister was with the other sister at all times.
As the sister with the illness needed it others in the family would be there for her as well. Blood was donated, platelets were donated, when her husband or the nursing sister weren't able to others would be with her. All the res of us were tested for a bone marrow (there are 7 siblings) and no one matched her. There was finally a donor found.
My two sisters are really very close despite the 8 1/2 year difference in age. The sister who is a nurse is the youngest of the 7 of us and I am the oldest. These two sisters even live within 1/2 mile of each other so that their children are each others playmates.

Anonymous said...

Glad that your sister is doing better. Isn't it amazing how a close family can get you through almost anything? I am lucky to have a wonderful younger sister with whom I am close. I was so happy when our second child was a girl because I wanted my first daughter (and my second of course!) to enjoy the special relationship that only sisters can have.

Tickled Pink And Green said...

You sound like a great sister with a special relationship. I wish I had a sister! :(