Sunday, May 11, 2008

Nostalgic Notions


Tonight at dinner I found myself taking a trip down Memory Lane with my kids as I recalled some of my favorite tv shows and my celebrity crushes. Here's a bit of what I reminisced about...

  • Watching Pinky Tuscadero & Fonzie on "Happy Days." Fonzie really loved Pinky and I so hoped they would get married.

  • Crying like a baby when Jenny died with Greg at her bedside on All My Children

  • Hoping that Jamie Somers, the Bionic Woman, would remember how much she loved Steve Austin, the Six Million Dollar Man, and they would be a couple.

  • Listening to my Shaun Cassidy album over & over.
  • Quickly finishing my homework so I could watch Willie Aames on "Eight is Enough"; Lance Kerwin on James at 15 (and after he lost his virginity the show became James at 16); Shaun Cassidy on the Hardy Boys; and Jimmy McNichol (Kristy's brother) on some show that I cannot remember the name of. I also remember watching a tv movie of the week with Jimmy McNichol where he was a hockey player and became a figure skater and his girlfreind was his partner. At the end of the movie, he died in a plane crash and I cried for days.
  • Wearing my oh-so stylish Starsky & Hutch socks and wishing I was old enough to marry David Soul.

Those were the days, my friend...

11 comments:

Readings, Recipes and Rambles said...

This brought back LOTS of memories!!!!!!! (I feel very old!!)

Katie Ryan said...

Oh my gosh, I had forgotten about James at 15 and the McNichols! Now I've got to call my sister and remind her too. Thanks for the memories.

Kim said...

I loved that ice skating movie, too. And all those things. I'm sure we grew up in the same house.

But I liked Starsky. My best friend liked Hutch. So we were set.

I wrote a post about James at 15. I LOVED that show. Then it was gone, just like every other show I liked! That's me, Kiss of Death.

Tippy said...

My neighbors had 4 daughters and the older two were a few years older than me. They had a life-size poster of Shawn Cassidy on their bedroom closet door. I thought it was so cool. I loved Nancy Drew & the Hardy Boys - watched it every Sunday night!

Tickled Pink And Green said...

I actually broke up with my college sweetheart because he didn't treat me like Greg treated Jenny! Of course a few months later I was sorry, but it was too late. A backstabbing sorority girl snatched him up and wouldn't let him go.

I liked the oldest brother on Eight is Enough -- Grant Goodeve - can't remember his show name. Loved him! Did you know one of the girls from that show has already died. I think it's was the brainy one? (not positive).....

Happy Days reminds me of my beloved father - he LOVED that show and you could hear him laughing from all over the house.

k e r r y said...

let me guess - you graduated from high school in the mid - late 80's?

Suburban prep said...

Brought back memories of the tv shows I watched growing up.

The Chic Chauffeur said...

Champions: A Love Story. How I loved Jimmy McNichol!! What a cutie pie.

so tired said...

I was always a fan of Pinky's little sister "Leather" Tuscadero...

Also, the very first concert I ever went to was a Shaun Cassidy concert with the neighbor girls and their dad. I had two of Shaun's albums. I remember some bio inside one of them saying he had a 19 inch waist or something like that.

Somehow I don't think I'd find Shaun manly enough for me today.. ;)

AR said...

the show Jimmy Mc was on FAMILY. My mom and I watched it all the time. I used to have a Fonzi t-shirt that I wore all the time. Oh and Shawn C. my fav. LOVED the Hardy Boys. That is so weird, my 8 yr old son is now reading some of the HB books. (I feel old too) Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

(oh, I'm a pal of "No Dieting")

Fifi Flowers said...

HILARIOUS! Loved Donny Osmond!