Sunday, July 27, 2008

Most Embarrassing Moment

I must admit I'm pretty embarrassed/ashamed to not have posted in over a week. I'd love to say I have several really good reasons why...but, truth be told, I just couldn't think of anything worthwhile to write about. Some of my favorite blogger friends can be so witty, insightful, articulate & intelligent in their posts that I think who would want to read anything I have to say...I can't do it as well as these other ladies. I just sit around and hope for some inspiration and divine intervention. I guess you could say that came tonight at dinner when I was sharing an embarrassing high school moment with Big Sis. After I finished telling the story, she said, "Mom, you should write about that in your blog." So here goes...

I was 17 and a high school senior at my New Jersey prep school. Our class was headed on the annual "Senior Trip" to Orlando. Wouldn't you know Aunt Flo (my period) decides it would be nice to join me on the trip? So, to be on the safe side, I packed an extraordinarily large amount of "sanitary protection" so as to not run out. Turns out, I used maybe a tenth of what I brought and had to stuff the rest back into my overloaded suitcase for the trip home. On our way to the airport, we made one last stop at some souvenir shop and fruit stand where people bought big bags of oranges and grapefruit to bring home. Fast forward to my entire senior class and some other random travelers at the Philadelphia airport's baggage claim. As the luggage started to make its way onto the conveyor belt you would see a lone grapefruit or maybe an orange on the carousel and it soon became apparent that the luggage handlers had been pretty rough on our stuff. Then, a wave of laughter broke out and fingers were pointing at this sad suitcase with a few maxi pads and tampons hanging out along with some more on the conveyor belt. My boyfriend at the time nudged me to point out the site and to my horror I realized it was mine. I looked him straight in the eye and said, "That's my suitcase. Get it off, close it and meet me at the bus. I'm getting out of here right now." Fortunately, for me, this was one time that he actually acted like he cared and handled the situation for me.

Let me tell you to have your entire senior class seeing your feminine protection spread out all along the baggage carousel is quite harrowing for a 17-year-old Catholic school girl. As I shared with Big Sis tonight, I did survive and the story makes for interesting conversation. What's your most embarrassing moment??? Care to share?

6 comments:

Tickled Pink And Green said...

Ooooh, knowing how self conscious I was in those years, that would be horrifying. And that was back in the days when no one discussed these "issues" as freely as they do now. (or maybe you're not as old as I am to remember that)....

I'll have to think of one of mine. I know I have quite a few.

Katie Ryan said...

OMG! That would be so embarrassing for a poor teenager!

The Mrs. said...

That is such a highschool moment!

The Mrs. said...

That is such a highschool moment!

Tickled Pink And Green said...

Ooooh, I just remembered one. I may have to post it on my blog it's rather long. Thanks!

BTW, I know how you feel about somedays not having anything to say. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood, not feeling creative or anything and then other days I can't wait to get to my blog and post something. It really comes and goes, doesn't it?! I can't believe I'm coming up on 1 year next month. Amazing!

Kim said...

I'll have to think on that one, but my favorite SIL and one of my best friends have so many, they can't even pick a favorite. Makes for fun times reminiscing!