Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Big Green Purse & A Cute Pink Bike

Happy Belated Earth Day, everyone!!! (it was actually yesterday, April 22) Life at the Madras house is becoming a bit more "eco-friendly" every day. We're trying to make some strides (albeit, baby steps) to living more "green." Last week, I purchased "The Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World," by Diane MacEachern. It's full of eye-opening facts and user-friendly ideas. Diane also has a website Big Green Purse that shares a wealth of information on how we can make a positive difference in our environment by using our spending power.

One of the areas where I've decided to make a change is my mode of transportation. While I will still be piling the kids in the Odyssey most of the time, the Madras family will also be traveling .by bike a lot more. This weekend, Mr. Madras gave my 15+ year-old Schwinn a much-needed tune-up and a little TLC in preparation for its daily use. I plan on riding it to my tennis matches. Our courts are embarrassingly close to most of our ., yet the parking lot overflows with our SUVs. In addition, that quick trip for milk & bread will now be made on my bike. Luckily, the store is nearby and besides having to cross a fairly busy intersection, it's an easy ride. I've decided that if I stick to this plan for a couple of months<., I'll invest in this cute pink Raleigh cruiser and add a few fun accessories like the adorable green bike basket by Swedish designer Marie-Louise Gustafsson . I figured I might as well make a statement in style...

I'll keep you updated on my progress.

4 comments:

TCP said...

That bike with that basket would be the cutest thing ever. It makes me wish that I wasn't such a fraidy cat about riding bikes in the city!

Vivian said...

Hi Madras Matters, forgive me for just popping in on your blog, but I thought you might want to share with your readers:
Our annual Sunfest Sale is next week.
May 1 - 4
$20.00 OFF every pair of Bonanno's
4 ways to order:
On-Line: www.sbsandals.com
Toll Free: 866-313 FEET (3338)
Come into the Stuart Boutique
@ 3 SW Osceola St. Downtown Stuart
Pre-Order to beat the crush
(all orders will go in the first day of the sale)
Happy Spring, Happy Feet.
Vivian

Marnie said...

Hi Madras Matters: I see that you like madras and thought I would tell you about my madras pictures frames - they are featured on my blog post today, April 28, 2008. If you have the time or inclination, please take a peak. Would love feedback. If you know any stores in your area that I might sell to please let m know. thanks, marnie

Tickled Pink And Green said...

Love your post. I can't believe we both posted about pink bikes. I need that bike basket too. :)