Thursday, June 12, 2008

Did I Mess Up?

OK everyone, just have to vent a little. So please excuse my little rant here. As I've mentioned before I like to visit Kristin Armstrong's blog, Mile Markers. She's a creative writer, and I can relate to so many of her posts. Well, several weeks ago she had a great post Orange Shorts. As I was reading through the comments that readers had left, I was particularly annoyed by one reader, CGT, who had commented several times on a grammatical mistake in Kristin's post. Mind you, this blog is written by a mom and runner and gives readers a little inspiration when it comes to balancing all the stuff that comes with being a parent who has interests and a life. Well, I thought it was a little odd that someone would take the time to be fairly "ugly" in her comments when they really had nothing to do with the spirit of the post. (Thanks to all of you for never pointing out any of my writing errors...I try to use spellcheck when I remember and double check my posts before I publish...stuff surely slips by...blogging, for many of us, is like a journal or that quick note you would jot to a friend...all things that we don't worry about being scrutinized for grammatical errors) Anyway, it just irked me to see all of the real negative comments that this particular blogger continued to make about this post.

Fast forward to yesterday evening, when I was reading Kristin's latest post Some Like It Hot, Hot, Hot, all about running in this awful Texas heat and humidity. As usual, I browsed through the comments and found it quite ironic that the infamous CGT had posted not once but twice with the very common grammatical mistake of writing "alot" as one word instead of the correct "a lot." Since she had done it in two different posts, I figured it wasn't just a typo and since it was midnight and I was a bit tired and perhaps not thinking straight, I typed a comment on Kristin's blog addressing the mistake. I thought if CGT was going to take the time to point out the grammatical errors of others (and not in a very kind way) I thought I would inform her of the mistake. Since I had just reviewed this with the sixth-grade students I had volunteered to tutor, the lesson was fresh in my mind.

Well, she didn't seem to take the helpful information very well and decided to poke a little fun at my blog and question what I was doing teaching sixth-grade students in Houston during the middle of June. I had actually volunteered to work with a group of students who had struggled in the writing portion of our state assessment (TAKS). These kids have a lot going on in their lives that isn't so great, so I felt this was a way I might be able to help. I'm having a blast working with them, and I'm probably learning as much from them as I hope they are learning from me.

In a way, I'm mad at myself for even writing the comment to CGT. It's just that she was so unkind in her comments. The comments weren't just about the grammatical error in Kristin's post but about Kristin herself. While I didn't make a comment during her initial criticisms, I couldn't help myself yesterday. Did I mess up? Should I just let stuff like that go? Now, CGT seems to have decided to make a little fun of me. This has just really irked me so I had to vent. Thanks for letting me let it out. I promise my next post will be much lighter and fun.
(No doubt, this post probably has some grammatical errors...let's make a pact that our posts don't have to be grammatically perfect and that if we can't say anything kind in our blog comments, we won't say anything at all.)

11 comments:

Wila (aka Ali) said...

I say "good for you!" I think it's ok to let annoyances slip by, but then sometimes you just NEED to address them! Obviously this CGT person needs to feel better about herself by pointing out others' flaws.

Thanks for posting this, because your picture and feelings really mimic mine today! While it's weird, it feels a little better than someone else out there is kind of grumpy today, too!

Keeping being great! Ali

Anonymous said...

Ugh, that is what I hate about online comments. Things are better in the "preppy blog" world where everyone is so darn polite! I like that much better! I think you were OK but I would just ignore her from now on! Some people are just ornery...in real life and online!

Carie said...

I know my blog is filled with grammatical errors. I am a busy mom of 3, a runner, I have hobbies and a husband who also wants my attention. Most of my post are typed off at the spur of the moment! Good for you for sticking up for your friend. If CGT can't take criticism (sp?) then she shouldn't dish it out.

Love your blog!

The Chic Chauffeur said...

You know, sometimes people have a strange need to feel superior, and have to put others down in order to do so. I think you are awesome to go to bat for another blogger! Seems as though CGT can dish it out, but cannot spoon it in . . . .

Unkind comments like the ones she is making are the cause of so many of my favorite bloggers going private, and I wish they would cut it out. If the reader isn't enjoying the blog, then perhaps that reader should go read a different one!!

And yea for you, with your volunteer work!

And finally, this comment is probably full of grammatical errors, run on sentences, and misspelled words. I apologize to CGT in advance! My heart is totally in the right place!!!!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you let them know. I hate it when people are rude and mean for no other reason than to act like they are better. Blogs are for fun and sharing not rudeness and corrections! It's even more pathetic when they won't even publish their name!

Southern Preppy Mommy said...

I don't think you messed up at all! I can't stand rude people and I'm glad you said someting to her. I think it is sad that some people have nothing better to do than to tear down other people. And by the way, CGT, if you are reading this, my blog is full of grammatical errors and I am a horrible speller!

Tippy said...

I can totally see why it irked you, but that poster was looking for a fight and you gave her one. I have done the same thing but it is so much better to ignore those people and they'll most likely go away. How did Kristin handle it? Does she ever respond to comments on her blog? I'd say ignore, ignore, ignore.

The 5 Bickies said...

That is an unbelievable string of angry comments on that blog. If Kristin reads her comments I would think she is so disappointed.

I was surprised to read that CGT is a woman with children. I immediately pegged her an angry old man. Not sure why. Guess that's what I associate with that kind of hate.

I sure do hope Kristin finds orange shorts. I think he would be the lucky one.

Caffeine Court said...

Who is this CGT? I must get to the bottom of this...looks like I have ALOT of work to do!!!

Mad About Plaid Girl said...

Is this the Kristin Armstrong that was Lance Armstrong's wife?

Melly said...

Yes, Lance is Kristin's ex-husband.