Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Help Wanted

Animal crackers, and cocoa to drink,
That is the finest of suppers, I think;
When I'm grown up and can have what I please
I think I shall always insist upon these.
"Animal Crackers," Christoper Morley, 1921

If making dinner could only be that simple. That's exactly what I need ~ some simple supper recipes that everyone in my family will eat and that I can prepare fairly easily. You see, I must confess I don't like to cook. Trust me, I've tried to enjoy it. If you looked on my kitchen bookshelves lined with all sorts of cookbooks, you would swear I was a seasoned chef. But my family knows better and that became all too clear today when I was "planning" tonight's meal. Here's the conversation:

Big Brother: What are we going to have for dinner tonight, Mom?

Me: Why don't we go out to eat tonight? Let's see, it's Tuesday, where do kids eat free?

Big Brother: Mom, kids eat free at home every night.

Well, if that didn't say it all! I have to cook more here at home where "kids eat free." So I'm asking for a bit of help. Does anyone have a great cookbook or helpful website where I can find easy and tasty meals? (The easy part is kind of important for me.) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Not a cookbook or website, but when I'm totally uninspired I just walk through the frozen foods section at Costco. You can either buy it there and heat it up, or make note of the things they have and try to recreate on your own. Like...why go out for burgers when all you have to do is grill the frozen ones from Costco, slap it on a bun and throw tater tots in the oven. I used to cook more when the girls were home, but the boys just want to eat stuff like that anyway, so why bother? Frozen meatballs, box of spaghetti, jar of sauce, frozen baguettes....voila. Wings are a favorite at our house--especially tequila wings. I make them eat salad and the carrot and celery sticks.

I love to cook, but I hate to cook for people who don't appreciate it and would rather eat Velveeta shells and cheese.

The 5 Bickies said...

I love the Ina Garten Barefoot Contessa cookbooks. Don't know if I have much success on a nightly basis but she does have some good winners. As well, Robin Miller from the Food Network has some quick and easy meal suggestions. Check out her website. Good Luck...it is a constant problem in my house. I love to cook and my kids hate to it. It gets so BORING at the dinner table.

Anonymous said...

Love that you opened with that poem. It is one of my daughters' favorites from a particular poetry board book we've had since E was a baby. Made me smile.

PaperCourt said...

I have a bunch of easy meals on my blog under recipes. My favorite being the crock pot tortilla soup.