Thursday, January 17, 2008

Since you asked...

Several of you have asked how "Bonus Baby" got this wonderful nickname. Well, it's because she is exactly that -- a bonus. You've probably noticed there's a little age spread between Big Sis (13), Big Bro (10) and our three and half-year old "bonus." People would often ask us if she was our "OOPS" or "Surprise Baby" some would even dare say "Mistake." While BB may not have been on my "Life's To Do" list, I'm well aware that my "to-do" list is not always the same as the list of the "man upstairs." So when that stick showed two blue lines, I knew it was meant to be and life was about to get even more exciting. I can tell you that our little girl has been nothing but a true BONUS in our lives. The excitement and joy she has brought to our family are immeasurable. Just a few of the perks she's provided:
  • Trips to Disney are even more thrilling for Big Sis and Big Bro because they see things through her eyes. They get so excited watching BB's reaction to hugging Pooh or riding Dumbo. Christmas morning is like this, too, and the older two rush by their own gifts to show BB her new bike or doll house.

  • My older two have become so responsible and more patient. Big Bro is so nurturing and caring that I know he'll be a better boyfriend, husband and father when the time comes.

  • Big Sis is real popular with all her friends because her little sister is soooo cute and fun to play with.

  • A chance to get to do the whole "little girl "thing again as an older and, hopefully, wiser parent.

I just looked "bonus" up in the thesaurus and here are a few of its synonyms. Our little bonus is all of these and so much more...gift, extra, reward, perk, plus, treasure, benefit, goodie, boost, enhancement, prize, advantage. We are truly blessed!

7 comments:

Tickled Pink And Green said...

As you know, I have a bonus baby too. My 12 year old daughter loves her so much, and she is definitely the envy of her friends who now all want a baby sister. :)

Tickled Pink And Green said...

P.S. It's kinda weird because so many of the girls (okay, women) on my block are all having trouble having babies. Some have one and can't seem to get pregnant again, even though they are only mid thirties! And here, out of the blue, I had a baby (without trying) at 45! Not only that, but she was completely healthy (fingers crossed) and I had no problems in pregnancy even though at my age I was almost certain to. Hey, you just never know. The only bad thing is that I will be 50 when she enters kindergarten, and when I take her in the teacher will probably say "Oh how nice that the grandmothers are so actively involved." (lol - sorta kidding - I look much younger than my age)...

The 5 Bickies said...

My neighbors have a BB and I see all the things you said in their family was well. Their kids are 16, 14, 8 and 20 months. They are GREAT parents and their teenage boys are amazing brothers and so kind and patient. We all love her so much! I LOVE having their little one around too. If only they would let me babysit more.

The Mrs. said...

That is so cute. You are blessed! I have a friend with a 13, 10 and then 2 yr old BB. She is precious and they adore her to DEATH! The brother and sister are NUTS for her! Your post is so right! Bonus indeed!

Preppy Napkin said...

So sweet. I will have to remember this if we decide on a third child a couple of years from now. I love the term bonus!

Tickled Pink And Green said...

5bickies, you can babysit for me anytime. Seriously, can I bring her over right now?! ;-)

Tickled Pink And Green said...

Maddie, I'm laughing about your "cleanliness issues" comment on my post. I also thought that there is no way I could give the same people yet another soap!

(gee, could I hog this comments section any more?!)....