Monday, January 7, 2008

My Subscription Addiction


I admit it -- I am a magazineaholic. I love magazines and subscribe to an inordinate amount. Mr. Madras wishes one of my New Year's resolutions was to conquer this addiction. Sorry, Mr. M, that's just not happening. In fact, I've just subscribed to a few more in support of my resolution to cook more. I've found that without a doubt eBay is the best place to get bargain subscriptions. Today, I ordered Martha Stewart's Everyday Food, Living & Everyday with Rachael Ray. Here are the links to these deals:

Martha Stewart's Everyday Food 1 year subscription was $8.75
Martha Stewart's Living & Everyday with Rachael Ray $16.98 1 year subscription for each magazine.

Here are a few other great deals I found on eBay. You can get a 3-year subscription to Traditional Home for only $5.99 or 1 year of InStyle for only $8.89! It's no wonder that a popular gift from the Madras family this Christmas was a magazine subscription. I've found lots of great deals on kids magazines which make great birthday presents, too. Below are some of my favorite reads...
Domino
Coastal Living
Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion
Better Homes & Gardens
InStyle
Traditional Home
Cooking Light
Town & Country

Another little problem I have when it comes to magazines is that I hate to throw any of them away. That also drives Mr. M crazy. Today, on a quick Target run, I saw these really cute magazine storage boxes in the Dollar Spot. I'm planning on organizing some magazines tomorrow and will post pics of the cute boxes then.

After one more load of laundry, I'll be off to bed with a few magazines in tow along with my "Itty Bitty" book light since Mr. M will undoubtedly be asleep by the time I finally roll into bed. He's never too fond of my late night reading, particularly magazines since I turn the pages much more frequently and they seem to make a lot of noise...Perhaps, another reason he hates my magazine obsession...

10 comments:

Kim said...

I went through a cleaning frenzy before Christmas and got rid of literally hundreds of magazines that I'd been storing...I found Martha Stewart Living and Family Fun magazines from the mid-late 1990's. It took a month for the recycling company to take them all because they couldn't lift one of the bins and it broke into a million pieces, so they left it and all the magazines in the driveway.

I feel your pain. I still saved way too many, but compared to what I threw away....well, it's a drop in the bucket.

Melly said...

I've discovered that one of my local non-profit agency's resale shops takes old magazines, plus you can take a tax-deduction. Also, a couple of used bookstores in my area take them as well, and I can get store credit or cash -- it's not much, but maybe easier than cleaning up broken recyling bins :)

Suburban prep said...

I have a ton of magazines. I am better though at getting rid of things than my mother is.
My parent's house was torn down last year and well with a family of 7 children and 30 yrs in a house you can just imagine what was in there. I think there were Town & Country magazines going back to the 70's and I thnk others were as old. When we would go there to help pack up stuff or throw out stuff I would get in that mode and come home and do the same thing.

Suzanne said...

Hi Maddie, just found your blog. I love magazines. I love to flip through them while I'm on the treadmill. I too save them, not sure why. Usually after a year I force myself to purge them.

Tickled Pink And Green said...

Ooooh I think we are twins separated at birth. I'm absolutely OBSESSED with magazines and always have been. If you've seen my entire blog from back in August 2007 you'll see a picture of me around age 5 sitting looking at a magazine!

I think I'll do a post on this - you've inspired me.

PaperCourt said...

I have the same addiction and same problem throwing them away. Hubby and I had a discussion about this the other day. I need to find those boxes at Target!

Olivia: (mostly) Happy Homemaker said...

I would never think to buy a magazine subscription on ebay! Thanks for the tip!

melissa said...

New to your blog and am enjoying it! I also have the nagazine addiction ;)

Melissa

The Mrs. said...

I love magazines too. Had to cut back a little because it becomes a CHORE! I want to read them all but it's tough! I used to keep magazines but now every couple months I throw out them all! My moms a pack rat and I've seen her House and Gardens from 1983!!!!

Mps830 said...

I LOVE magazines, too! I even got all the kids I know to love magazines. I find that the best kids magazines are at www.cricketmag.com.